Friday, August 28, 2009

From the Grotto?

For as long as I have been familiar with the word I have been fascinated by grottos. Words I associate with grottos: primordial, dark, quiet, secret, pregnant, mysterious, haunted.

They became a mood source when I started reading H.P. Lovecraft. I don't aim to make scary jewelry or scary art for that matter, what interests me about his stories is the very ancient and secret places that inspire them - places and things unseen and little understood. For those familiar with my art you might be surprised to hear this considering how light and airy my works are. I feel that it is this darkness which gives life to my art - that the lines and forms I use are illuminated writhing arabesques from the grotto.

1 comment:

  1. Your work is lovely....I make similar recycled plastic art jewelry that might inspire you to new ideas... Susi DuPuis

    artsyfartsyjewelry@gmail.com
    www.artsyfartsyjewelry.com recyclesbysusi.etsy.com

    ReplyDelete